Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 2 Part C

Okay, now for some things I like about Iceland.

Little tiramisu things in a cup. That taste like tiramisu and don't appear to be made of anything gross. Those are great.

GIANT PEARS! They're frigging huge and green, and rather tasty if a bit on the appley side. I don't think they're grown here, but damn, they're good.

Gravlax are not expensive, and strangely enough, butter is about half what it costs in the US.

And just for the sake of reporting, I had dinner at Vegamot. Very trendy. Very damn trendy. I need to hurry up and get a frigging lopapeysa so I'll fit in. However, the food was really not all that great. What I had amounted to linguine alfredo with a bit of lobster and broccoli thrown in. The waitress was very nice to me, retarded foreign guy that I am, even if the rest of the staff was rude. One guy snatched my cheese off the table without even a hello. I wasn't using it, but still, Christ almighty. I've never been against tipping, but now I REALLY see why it's a great idea. The upside is, the waiters don't annoy you here. The downside is, they also don't give a shit whether you like your food/service or not. This is twice I've had my plate plonked down in front of me uncermoniously, like an angry ex-girlfriend returning a sweater that she'd rather have mailed than actually show up at my house (table?) to give back.

One thing that's kinda cool, is no one assumes that I don't speak Icelandic. They all assume I do. At first. Some people don't even care that I don't. Which is great. Linguistic purity is nice. I think it's great that even though you all speak better English than I do, you still speak Icelandic all the time. I like to picture all the case endings flying past me through the air as you decline your nouns with the greatest of ease, and suffix your definite articles without a second thought.

But seriously, Iceland....right now you guys really need the tourists because you're pretty much fucked. Maybe you could be a little less rude? I know I'm short, confused and in the way but really.

No comments:

Post a Comment